Life is quite drab at the moment and we decided to challenge you to bring some colour to the world! And what better way to do it, than with a competition?! Besides, we are all so sick and tired of being restrained, that we might as well start to ‘colour outside of the lines’ and refuse to ‘draw straight lines’! Let’s start a craft rebellion!
We want you to think out of the box, and delve deep for the creativity stored within you! You are unique. You have a unique creativity and a unique way to express it. That is what we want you to showcase. If you haven’t yet found your creativity, this is the competition for you.
What can you win?
There is only one prize and it consists of the following:
- Accommodation for two nights, all meals included, at Remhoogte Mountain Lodge in Skeerpoort (North West Province), with all meals included. Value R1300 – courtesy of Max and Sharon Cohen from Remhoogte Mountain Lodge (travel to and from Remhoogte Mountain Lodge is for the winner’s own expense);
- A two day beginners weaving workshop on a rigid heddle loom. Value R900 – courtesy of Glynis Brooke, the master weaver of Brooklands, during the month of September 2021 – dates to be confirmed. (A loom will be provided for you to use during the workshop).
- A 500g Colourspun Cotton yarn pack for you to use during the workshop. Value R550 – courtesy of Dana Biddle, the colour master of Colourspun.
- A 500g Colourspun Cotton yarn pack in colours of your choice, to take home and play with afterwards. Value R550 – courtesy of Ilona Slow Life Creations.
What you have to do?
- We want you to order at least one of the Colour Your World Kits (get yours here). The kit consists of eight 50g balls Colourspun Cotton Sock, one in each of the eight colours shown above.
- Search online for a painted work of art. The painting doesn’t have to be in the same colour scheme; it could be totally different. But it must be inspirational to you and that inspiration must be visible to the judges.
- Find a way to ‘translate’ the painted work of art, into your crafted work of art. You can knit or crochet. You can even combine these two and add other mediums should you wish to.
- You have to use all eight colours of your colour kit in your project.
- Now add to your colour kit if you wish to do so. Add yarns from your stash, different weights, and even different textures if you want. This is optional, but so much fun! Go wild!
- Your creation can be anything! It can be a garment, a décor item, a blanket or a toy. Literally anything. It doesn’t matter whether it has a practical use, or whether it is just an item of beauty to be admired.
- The final step is your official entry. Send quality photos to email@example.com via wetransfer, along with a completed information sheet. The information sheet will be sent to you via email on completion of your order.
Look at this fabulous example made by Linda Tacke. The painting is by Friedensreich Hundertwasser and the waist coat is her interpretation of the painting.
Panel of Judges:
The items will be judged on:
- The use of colour
- The interpretation of the painted work of art
- Harmony of the design
- Technical Variety
- The closing date is 31 August 2021. No entry will be accepted thereafter.
- You have to purchase a yarn pack to participate.
- You have to use all the colours in the yarn pack.
- You have to submit quality photos and a completed information sheet via wetransfer.com to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The prize is transferable; if you win and you are already a weaver, this is a perfect way to lead a friend down the rabbit hole.
- Travel to and from Remhoogte Mountain Lodge is for the winner’s own expense.
- We cannot be held responsible for a workshop missed due to possible Covid travel restrictions.
- Should the workshop be cancelled due to Covid restrictions, a new date will be given.
- The decision by the judges is final.